REFERENCE TITLE: civil action; assault; reporting; limitation
State of Arizona
First Regular Session
Senators Boyer: Contreras; Representatives Blackman, Espinoza
amending title 12, chapter 5, article 1, Arizona Revised Statutes, by adding section 12‑514; relating to limitations of actions.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Title 12, chapter 5, article 1, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 12-514, to read:
12-514. Civil action arising from sexual assault committed against a minor; failure to report; statute of limitations; definition
A. Notwithstanding sections 12‑505, 12‑511 and 12‑542, an action for the recovery of damages that is based on either of the following shall be commenced within seven years after the cause of action accrues, and not afterward:
1. An injury that a minor suffers as a result of another person's negligent or intentional act if that act is a cause of a sexual assault committed against the minor.
2. The failure to report child abuse or a sexual assault committed against a minor pursuant to section 13‑3620.
B. For the purposes of this section, a cause of action accrues when the later of the following occurs:
1. The plaintiff reaches eighteen years of age.
2. The plaintiff first discloses the sexual assault to a licensed medical or mental health care provider in the context of receiving health care from the provider.
C. For the purposes of this section, "person" has the same meaning prescribed in section 49-961.
Sec. 2. Applicability
1. Applies to any cause of action that either:
(a) Is commenced on or after the effective date of this act.
(b) Was filed before and remains pending on the effective date of this act.