REFERENCE TITLE: elections; county canvass; legislative review
State of Arizona
House of Representatives
First Regular Session
amending section 16-646, Arizona Revised Statutes; amending title 16, chapter 4, article 11, Arizona Revised Statutes, by adding section 16-646.01; relating to conduct of elections.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
16-646. Statement, contents and mailing of official canvass
A. When the result of the canvass is determined, a statement, known and designated as the official canvass, shall be entered on the official record of the election district that shall show:
1. The number of ballots cast in each precinct and in the county.
2. The number of ballots rejected in each precinct and in the county.
3. The titles of the offices voted for and the names of the persons, together with the party designation, if any, of each person voted for to fill the offices.
4. The number of votes by precincts and county received by each candidate.
5. For each candidate race in each political subdivision prescribed by section 16-204.01, the number of ballots cast and the number of active registered voters in each political subdivision and portion of a political subdivision for which a candidate may be elected.
6. The numbers and a brief title of each proposed constitutional amendment and each initiated or referred measure voted on.
7. The number of votes by precincts and county for and against such the proposed amendment or measure.
B. The certified permanent copy of the official canvass for all offices and ballot measures, except offices and ballot measures in a city or town election and nonpartisan election returns, shall be delivered to the legislature for review pursuant to section 16-646.01 and an additional copy shall be mailed immediately to the secretary of state who shall maintain and preserve it as a permanent public record.
C. The board of supervisors shall deliver a copy of the official canvass for all offices and ballot measures in the primary and general elections to the secretary of state in a uniform electronic computer media format that shall be agreed on between the secretary of state and all county election officials. The uniform format shall be designed to facilitate the computer analysis of election results for offices and ballot measures that are statewide or are common to more than one county.
D. The certified permanent copy of the official canvass for all offices and ballot measures in a city or town election shall be filed with the appropriate city or town clerk, or in a special district election with the clerk of the board of supervisors, who shall maintain and preserve it as a permanent public record.
Sec. 2. Title 16, chapter 4, article 11, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended by adding section 16-646.01, to read:
16-646.01. County canvass; legislative session; review
On receipt of an official county canvass as prescribed by section 16-646, the LEGISLATURE under its plenary powers regarding elections may call ITSELF into session for the purpose of reviewing the official county canvass, CERTIFYING its results by majority vote and transmitting those results to the secretary of state.