Bill Text: VA HB57 | 2012 | Regular Session | Prefiled
Bill Title: Voter registration; registrars with respect to voter registration records. [Track Bill]
Status: 2012-04-09 - Governor: Acts of Assembly Chapter text (CHAP0686) [HB57 Detail]
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:
1. That §24.2-404 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:
§24.2-404. Duties of State Board.
A. The State Board shall provide for the continuing operation
and maintenance of a central
In order to operate and maintain the system, the Board shall:
1. Maintain a complete, separate, and accurate record of all registered voters in the Commonwealth.
2. Require the general registrars to enter the names of all registered voters into the system and to change or correct registration records as necessary.
3. Provide to each general registrar, voter registration cards for newly registered voters and for notice to registered voters on the system of changes and corrections in their registration records and polling places.
4. Require the general registrars to delete from the record of registered voters the name of any voter who (i) is deceased, (ii) is no longer qualified to vote in the county or city where he is registered due to removal of his residence, (iii) has been convicted of a felony, (iv) has been adjudicated incapacitated, (v) is known not to be a United States citizen by reason of reports from the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to § 24.2-410.1, or (vi) is otherwise no longer qualified to vote as may be provided by law. Such action shall be taken no later than 30 days after notification from the Board. The Board shall promptly provide the information referred to in this subdivision, upon receiving it, to general registrars.
5. Retain on the system for four years a separate record for registered voters whose names have been deleted, with the reason for deletion.
6. Retain on the system permanently a separate record for information received regarding deaths, felony convictions, and adjudications of incapacity pursuant to §§24.2-408 through 24.2-410.
7. Provide to each general registrar, at least
8. Acquire by purchase, lease, or contract equipment necessary to execute the duties of the Board.
9. Use any source of information that may assist in carrying out the purposes of this section. All agencies of the Commonwealth shall cooperate with the State Board in procuring and exchanging identification information for the purpose of maintaining the voter registration system. The State Board may share any information that it receives from another agency of the Commonwealth with any Chief Election Officer of another state for the maintenance of the voter registration system.
10. Reprint and impose a reasonable charge for the sale of any part of Title 24.2, lists of precincts and polling places, statements of election results by precinct, and any other items required of the State Board by law. Receipts from such sales shall be credited to the Board for reimbursement of printing expenses.
B. The State Board shall be authorized to provide for the production, distribution, and receipt of information and lists through the Virginia Voter Registration System by any appropriate means including, but not limited to, paper and electronic means.
C. The State Board shall institute procedures to ensure that each requirement of this section is fulfilled. As part of its procedures, the State Board shall provide that the general registrar shall mail notice of any cancellation pursuant to clause (v) of subdivision A 4 to the person whose registration is cancelled.
D. The State Board shall promulgate rules and regulations to ensure the uniform application of the law for determining a person's residence.