Bill Text: NJ A2351 | 2012-2013 | Regular Session | Introduced
Bill Title: Establishes online portal for acceptance of donations to certain funds to which contributions may be made on gross income tax returns. [Track Bill]
Status: 2012-10-11 - 2nd Reading in the Assembly on Concur. w/Gov.'s Recommend. [A2351 Detail]
Assemblyman GORDON M. JOHNSON
District 37 (Bergen)
Establishes online portal for acceptance of donations to certain funds to which contributions may be made on gross income tax returns.
CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
An Act concerning certain charitable funds and supplementing Title 54A of the New Jersey Statutes.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. a. The Director of the Division of Taxation in the Department of the Treasury shall, on or before the first day of the third month following the date of enactment of P.L. , c. (c. ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill), establish and maintain an online donation portal whereby a person may make an online donation by electronic payment as determined by the director, including but not limited to credit card or debit card donation for any special fund to which a contribution may be made by indication on a taxpayer's New Jersey gross income tax return pursuant to chapter 9 of Title 54A of the New Jersey Statutes.
b. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the Gubernatorial Elections Fund, created pursuant to P.L.1976, c.47 (C.54A:9-25.1).
2. This act shall take effect immediately.
This bill requires the Director of the Division of Taxation in the Department of the Treasury to establish and maintain an online donation portal so that a person may make an online donation by electronic payment to any of the special funds to which a contribution can be made on a taxpayer's New Jersey gross income tax return.
Currently, the New Jersey Children's Trust Fund, which is a tax check off listed on New Jersey's gross income tax return, allows for online donations. Some of the check-off funds, like the New Jersey Breast Cancer Research Fund, do not. This bill will allow any individual to make an online donation to any of the funds listed on New Jersey's gross income tax return through the portal, using electronic payment methods determined by the director, including but not limited to credit card and debit card payments.
The current charitable contribution funds are:
- The Endangered Wildlife Fund
- The Children's Trust Fund
- The Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Fund
- The Breast Cancer Research Fund
- The U.S.S. New Jersey Educational Museum Fund
- The Drug Abuse Education Fund
- The Korean Veterans' Memorial Fund
- The Organ and Tissue Donor Awareness Education Fund
- The NJ-AIDS Services Fund
- The Literacy Volunteers of America - New Jersey Fund
- The New Jersey Prostate Cancer Research Fund
- The World Trade Center Scholarship Fund
- The New Jersey Veterans Haven Support Fund
- The Community Food Pantry Fund
- The Cat and Dog Spay/Neuter Fund
- The New Jersey Lung Cancer Research Fund
- The Boys and Girls Clubs in New Jersey Fund
- The New Jersey National Guard State Family Readiness Council Fund