Bill Text: MO HB277 | 2011 | Regular Session | Introduced
Bill Title: Requires the local offices and resident hunting and fishing permit vendors of the Department of Conservation to make a voter registration application form available to a resident permit applicant [Track Bill]
Status: 2011-02-15 - Public Hearing Completed (H) [HB277 Detail]
FIRST REGULAR SESSION
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
To repeal section 115.162, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to voter registration for hunting and fishing permit applicants.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 115.162, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 115.162, to read as follows:
115.162. 1. A voter registration application shall be provided by the secretary of state in all offices of the state that provide public assistance, all offices that provide state-funded programs primarily engaged in providing services to persons with disabilities, and other offices as directed by the governor. In addition all armed forces recruitment offices shall be considered a voter registration agency.
2. At each voter registration agency, the following services shall be made available:
(1) Assistance to applicants in completing voter registration application forms, unless the applicant refuses such assistance;
(2) Acceptance of completed voter registration application forms for transmittal to the election authority located in the same county or any city not within a county, or if there is more than one election authority within the county, to the election authority nearest to the office of the agency. The election authority receiving the application forms shall review the applications and forward any applications pertaining to a different election authority to that election authority;
(3) Voter registration sites shall transmit voter registration application forms to the appropriate election authority not later than five business days after the form is completed by the applicant;
(4) If a voter registration agency provides services to a person with a disability at the person's home, the agency shall provide the services provided in this section at the person's home.
3. An applicant declining to register in any agency shall be noted in a declination section incorporated into the voter registration form used by the agency. No information relating to a declination to register to vote in connection with an application made at a voter registration agency may be used for any purpose other than voter registration.
4. The secretary of state's office shall provide voter registration application forms to the department of conservation for distribution to local offices and permit vendors. All department of conservation offices and local permit vendors authorized by the department to issue resident hunting and fishing permits shall make voter registration application forms available to all applicants who apply for resident hunting and fishing permits at the department office or local permit vendor. Such applicants may mail the completed voter registration application to the appropriate election authority. All department of conservation offices and local permit vendors authorized by the department to issue resident hunting and fishing permits may inform any applicant for a resident hunting or fishing permit who applies by telephone that the applicant may request that a voter registration application be mailed to the applicant. Such applicants may mail the completed voter registration application to the appropriate election authority.