Bill Text: AZ HB2565 | 2014 | Fifty-first Legislature 2nd Regular | Engrossed
Bill Title: Manslaughter; assisting suicide
Status: (Passed) 2014-04-30 - Chapter 270 [HB2565 Detail]
State of Arizona
House of Representatives
Second Regular Session
HOUSE BILL 2565
amending section 13‑1103, Arizona Revised Statutes; relating to manslaughter.
(TEXT OF BILL BEGINS ON NEXT PAGE)
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Arizona:
Section 1. Section 13-1103, Arizona Revised Statutes, is amended to read:
13-1103. Manslaughter; classification
A. A person commits manslaughter by:
1. Recklessly causing the death of another person; or
2. Committing second degree murder as defined prescribed in section 13‑1104, subsection A upon a sudden quarrel or heat of passion resulting from adequate provocation by the victim; or
3. Intentionally aiding offering or providing the physical means that another to commit person uses to commit suicide, with the knowledge that the person intends to commit suicide; or
4. Committing second degree murder as defined prescribed in section 13‑1104, subsection A, paragraph 3, while being coerced to do so by the use or threatened immediate use of unlawful deadly physical force upon such person or a third person which a reasonable person in his situation would have been unable to resist; or
5. Knowingly or recklessly causing the death of an unborn child by any physical injury to the mother.
B. An offense under subsection A, paragraph 5 of this section applies to an unborn child in the womb at any stage of its development. A person shall not be prosecuted under subsection A, paragraph 5 of this section if any of the following applies:
1. The person was performing an abortion for which the consent of the pregnant woman, or a person authorized by law to act on the pregnant woman's behalf, has been obtained or for which the consent was implied or authorized by law.
2. The person was performing medical treatment on the pregnant woman or the pregnant woman's unborn child.
3. The person was the unborn child's mother.
C. Manslaughter is a class 2 felony.